- Abstract submission is now open
- Abstract submission deadline: CLOSED
Abstracts can be submitted only online.
Authors are strongly advised to submit prior to the deadline and avoid unnecessary delays which may affect the standing of their abstract.
For any abstract related queries please contact the ESSO 38 Secretariat.
Abstract Policies and Regulations
With the submission of an abstract to ESSO 38 Congress, the presenting author:
- Accepts responsibility for the accuracy of the submitted abstract.
- Accepts to be the contact person for all correspondence regarding the abstract and inform co-authors of its status.
- Confirms that all authors are aware of and agree to the content of the abstract and support the data presented.
- States that for all studies involving human or animal subjects, permission has been obtained from the relevant regulatory authority and informed consent given where appropriate.
- Identifies, obtains and discloses any financial interest in products or processes described in the abstract for all abstract authors. This includes stock ownership, membership on an advisory board or board of directors, corporate-sponsored research and other substantive relationships.
- Releases the copyright on behalf of all authors to ESSO and gives permission for the abstract, when selected for presentation, to be published in an issue of the European Journal of Surgical Oncology, as well as on the ESSO 38 website. The copyright of the abstract remains with the author(s).
- Submitted abstracts cannot be withdrawn after 29 June 2018
Abstract Preparation & Submission
- The abstract must be submitted in good English. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to reject abstracts which are presented in poor English, or may request an immediate revision by the presenting author.
- No more than 20 authors can be listed with only their institutional affiliation, city and country. Mailing addresses and academic degrees should not be mentioned. For co-operative study groups, the name of the group should be used instead of individual institutional affiliations or include the name of the group in the title of the abstract.
- The title of the abstract should be concise and accurately describe the study undertaken. Do not use non-standard abbreviations and commercial names (generic names only).
- Abstracts should be structured to include the following 4 sections:
- Background: introductory sentence specifying the purpose of the study
- Material and methods: brief description of relevant experimental procedures
- Results: summary of the results of the investigation
- Conclusions: a statement of the main conclusions
- The abstract submission system will not accept abstracts that exceed 2900 characters (including body of the abstract, spaces and 1 table).
- Only one data table is permitted in the body of the abstract. Illustrations and figures are not allowed and will be deleted if submitted.
- Abbreviations may be used if standard or if spelled out and defined at the first use. Compounds should be mentioned with the generic name, in lower cases. Commercial names are admitted in the text, with an ®, and if in brackets following the generic name, i.e. “generic (Commercial ®)”.
- Up to 3 keywords should be provided to distinguish the abstract for indexing purposes.
Abstract submission procedure
- Abstracts can only be submitted online. Abstracts submitted by regular mail, fax or e-mail will not be considered.
- The abstract submission system for the ESSO 38 will only be accessible on the congress website.
- Step-by-step instructions will be provided within the submission system. Submitters can edit their abstracts until the deadline.
- An e-mail confirming receipt of the abstract submitted online will be sent to the presenting author within 48 hours. An abstract number will be allocated and should be mentioned for any queries relating to the submitted abstract.
Abstract selection process
Abstracts submitted for presentation at the ESSO 38 Congress will be reviewed by a panel of experts in the field of the subject and will be judged solely on the data submitted. The final decision on the presentation format of all selected abstracts lies at the sole discretion of the Scientific Committee.
The following presentation formats are applicable for the ESSO 38 Congress:
- Niall O’Higgins Presentation: the 8 best abstracts are selected for oral presentation in the Niall O’Higgins Award session. Important note: all selected presenters for the Niall O’Higgins Award session must submit a manuscript to EJSO based on their presentation at the Congress. Further details will be provided upon notification of abstract selection.
- Oral Presentation: the abstract is selected for oral presentation in a main programme symposium
- Poster in the Spotlight: abstracts that have been selected for a short oral presentation in a Poster Spotlight Session. The Posters discussed in the Poster Spotlight session will be also displayed in the Poster Sessions during all sessions.
- Poster Presentation: abstracts that have been selected for presentation in poster format. Posters are grouped by topic and will be displayed in the Poster Sessions. A formal Poster Defence Session will be scheduled, when presenting authors are requested to be present at their posters.
Abstract selection notification
The presenting author will receive the result of the review and the Scientific Committee’s decision on their abstract by email end of June 2018.
Presenting author registration
- Submitting an abstract for presentation at ESSO 38 does not constitute registration for the congress. Abstract presenters must register to attend the ESSO 38 Congress.
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract will be allowed to register at early rate at an extended deadline. Further information on the presenting author extended early rate will be provided upon notification of abstract selection.
- NB: Accepted abstracts will only be published in the Congress publications if the presenting author is registered and full payment has been received.
Presenting author replacement
If the presenting author of a selected abstract cannot attend, they should assign a replacement and immediately inform the ESSO 38 secretariat of the replacement.
ESSO cannot guarantee any request for withdrawal of an abstract that in any way delays the ESSO 38 publications. Requests to withdraw abstracts will be accepted until 29 June 2018. After this date, abstracts selected for presentation must be presented. If the presenting author of an accepted abstract is not registered (including full payment received) by 20 July 2018, the abstract will automatically be withdrawn.
Topics for Abstract Submission
Please select one topic which refers to the main subject of the abstract.
PRINT THIS PAGE
Page last modified:
- BREAST CANCER
- CANCER IN OLDER PATIENTS
- COLORECTAL AND ANAL CANCER
- EXPERIMENTAL SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
- GYNAECOLOGICAL CANCER
- HEAD & NECK AND THYROID CANCER
- HEPATOBILIARY AND PANCREATIC CANCER
- LIVER METASTASES
- LUNG CANCER
- MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY
- MULTIDISCIPLINARY APPROACH TO CANCER
- NURSING IN SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
- OESOPHAGEAL AND GASTRIC CANCER
- PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY
- QUALITY ASSURANCE/AUDITS
- REGIONAL CANCER TREATMENT AND PERITONEAL MALIGNANCY
- ROBOTIC SURGERY
- SENTINEL NODE BIOPSY
- SOFT TISSUE SARCOMA
- UROLOGICAL CANCER
- PATIENT REPORTED OUTCOMES
- PERSONALISED SURGICAL ONCOLOGY